About me: I am an avid daydreamer, non-stop dancer, overly-wordy writer, loyal friend and a delicate mixture of an extrovert/introvert. I live for laughing and learning something new everyday. After graduating in May, I realize more and more that the life we plan for ourselves is limited by our imagination and that the life that is waiting for us may be more than we can actually imagine.

Note: This blog is for my experiences during my Fulbright grant year (July 2010 - July 2011) in South Korea. The views expressed are my own and not those of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Friday 10 December 2010

Thanksgiving with the students :)

I have been really trying to encourage my students to "think outside the box." I find that because of the way the Korean education system is set up, my students are so programmed to find the 1 right answer to every question that all their imagination goes down the drain.

For Thanksgiving, I thought I would mix it up a little. Of course, everyone is thankful (or as my students have a bad habit of saying "thanksful") for the usual - family, friends, a roof over their heads, etc. So, I taught them the phrase "taking [something] for granted" and wanted them to start thinking of all other things that is left out of the "typical list"

It is interesting to see the outcome of trying to get them to think creatively because the smartest students often made mundane or typical thank-you cards and the students that don't know that much English at all were actually very creative with their answers. Perhaps, the "intelligent" students have only become really good at the rote memorization that the Korean education system thrives on :/

I took a few pictures of some cards that had both creativity and good English :)