About me: I am an avid daydreamer, non-stop dancer, overly-wordy writer, loyal friend and a delicate mixture of an extrovert/introvert. I live for laughing and learning something new everyday. After graduating in May, I realize more and more that the life we plan for ourselves is limited by our imagination and that the life that is waiting for us may be more than we can actually imagine.

Note: This blog is for my experiences during my Fulbright grant year (July 2010 - July 2011) in South Korea. The views expressed are my own and not those of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or any of its partner organizations.

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Taekwondo & one of my biggest goals while i'm here



During Orientation, we are given options of extracurricular activities to do to help us introduce us to Korean culture. One of the things I signed up for was Taekwondo, I was a little hesitant at first when the instructor showed us a video of a ripped man flying through the air doing kicks and breaking bricks ... my first thought was, “um, how did I ever think I could do any of this?! Should I sneak out of the door now?” But, I’m really glad I stayed because I am realizing that doing taekwondo is helping me live out one of my biggest goals while I’m in South Korea, which is to learn how to be more still on the inside as there is so much noise/clutter going around on the outside. In a way, when I am doing Taekwondo I notice that I am so much in the present moment that I am NOT having thoughts, which is huge because I am always daydreaming.. even know as I write this. I really appreciate that clarity of thought..its something id really like to be a part of my life when I am not in taekwondo too. One last thing Taekwondo is teaching me is something Olenka emphasized early on about the “sport.” While doing it, you are constantly reminded about the concept of “mind over matter.” It is really empowering for when you come out to Taekwondo and face everyday life and you notice that you find yourself mentally stronger and somehow have more willpower to do something you never thought you’d try.

* oh, the picture above is Dave and I @ Taekwondo class..you would think we are holding up our fingers like that because that is the norm in S. Korea, but we are really just holding up our V's .. haha always got Villanova in our hearts.
** the picture is dedicated to Jane Morris who is absolutely awesome <3